Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-usrp-0.6, problem with make on Mac OS X

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-usrp-0.6, problem with make on Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:29:48 -0800

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 03:52:24PM -0800, Jonathan Jacky wrote:

> I'm trying out the GNU Radio 2.6 tarballs on Mac OS X.  Previously I
> built gnuradio-core, gr-wxgui, usrp and gr-usrp from CVS (checked out
> Nov 28) without problems.  Today I built gnuradio-core-2.6,
> gr-wxgui-0.4, and usrp-0.9 from the tarballs with no apparent problems.
> I've tried the new gnuradio-core and gr-wxgui, and they work.
>
> I ran into a problem with gr-usrp-0.6.  Its bootstrap and configure
> complete without errors or warnings. But then make fails after a huge
> number of messages about fftw3f, of all things (see below).  It looks
> like ld failed because a great many symbols named _fftw_... got
> defined in both libgnuradio-core.dylib and a bunch of other .o files
> somehow.

Hi Jon,

I saw this a month or so ago when I tried to compile fftw on OS/X
10.3.<something>.

I fixed it by hacking the fftw source code.  Seems that there is some
conflict between the "flat" and "non-flat" shared library model (or
something like that), and that fftw and/or libtool runs afoul it.

I fixed it on fftw-3.0.1  (probably the same on fftw-3.0.1-fma) by
these drastic steps:

fftw-3.0.1/libbench2/getopt-utils.c:  remove it and replace with an empty file.
fftw-3.0.1/libbench2/getopt.c: remove it and replace with an empty file.
fftw-3.0.1/libbench2/getopt1.c: remove it and replace with an empty file.

E.g.,   cp /dev/null getopt-utils.c

Apparently os/x doesn't like it when there is more than one entry
point with the same name.

Eric