Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sparc <--> x86 data exchange

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sparc <--> x86 data exchange
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:23:08 -0800

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 03:29:38PM -0500, cswiger wrote:
> Gang - any hints on what happens to float data when transfered
> from a sparc machine to an x86?  I understand byte-swap but this
> looks like word-swap.
>
> A dial_tone_2_file.py script is run on a sparc
> machine creating dial_tone_out_sparc.
> The same script is run on an x86 creating dial_tone_out_x86.

The sparc is big-endian, the x86 is little-endian.

Use od -b (octal bytes) and everything will look as expected.
If you've got hexdump on the sparc, use the script and format file
attached.  It will dump bytes in hex.

Dumping the 32-bit integer 0x76543210

x86:   0x10 0x32 0x54 0x76
sparc: 0x76 0x54 0x32 0x10