Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR on MacOS X?

From: Jonathan Jacky
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR on MacOS X?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:51:45 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Michael Dickens wrote:

Jon - Do I take it that you're compiling from source, not using Fink or DarwinPorts (DP)?

No, I use pre-packaged stuff wherever I can. Almost all of the prerequistites are in darwinports. I did build Numeric from source (from SourceForge) because the version in darwinports requires Python 2.4, not 2.3 as is shipped with OS X. For wxPython, I got the 2.6.1.0 Mac OS X binaries (.dmg file) from the wxPython site.

USRP should compile without issue once you've gotten the correct library dependencies down in the configure file (and whence, the m4 file). It's an easy change; here's my diff to usrp/config/usrp_libusb.m4:

Thanks very much for this. Eric has noted that we will need to do more work with the Mac OS X USB support to get good throughput and made some suggestions.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2005-09/msg00036.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2005-02/msg00143.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2004-01/msg00040.html
etc...

I was about to start looking into that.

If you're using DP, then the biggest issue I've had is that the "gnu libtool" and "gnu libtoolize" are renamed "glibtool" and "glibtoolize" (so as to not compete with Apple's "libtool"), and thus bootstrap won't execute properly.

I ran across this. My fix was simply to make symbolic links libtool and libtoolize to glibtool and glibtoolize after installing glibtool from darwinports but before building any Gnu Radio stuff. That works.
I haven't had any problems with shadowing the Apple versions.

I recall there were one or two more things like this I had to fix.
They're in my notes, which I will put on the web soon.

I have a set of directions, including a script for the DP dependencies, which I'll get up on a WWW page soon.

Me too.  It will be interesting to compare.

Jon Jacky