Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR on MacOS X?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR on MacOS X?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:00:52 -0500

Jon - Do I take it that you're compiling from source, not using Fink or DarwinPorts (DP)? If that's the case, mucho respect for you ... I tried that and gave up on wxPython - just never got the correct configurations to make things work.

USRP should compile without issue once you've gotten the correct library dependencies down in the configure file (and whence, the m4 file). It's an easy change; here's my diff to usrp/config/ usrp_libusb.m4:

% diff usrp_libusb.m4 usrp_libusb.m4.orig
30,33d29
<   case "$target_os" in
<     darwin*)    LIBS="$LIBS -lIOKit" ;;
<   esac

I just joined (today) the gnuradio discuss & patch lists, and haven't taken time to submit this patch.

GR-USRP should compile once USRP is installed, without any further changes.

If you're using DP, then the biggest issue I've had is that the "gnu libtool" and "gnu libtoolize" are renamed "glibtool" and "glibtoolize" (so as to not compete with Apple's "libtool"), and thus bootstrap won't execute properly. This is a simple change to the bootstrap script (each of them), and there's probably a simple way to patch those files but I haven't taken the time.

DP provides the latest releases of most applications/libraries, though the SDCC version is what GR requires (2.4.0). I've found only 2 bugs in their patches, and both were easy to work around; 1 bug looks fixed now (from SMPEG, a dependency of something else I no longer remember); I reported both bugs a while back.

Using DP took me maybe 1 week to get everything to compile (well, not the ALSA stuff), including the 2 compilation bugs (I also don't have lots of spare cycles to do this work just yet). I have a set of directions, including a script for the DP dependencies, which I'll get up on a WWW page soon. Nothing really technical to get things working when using DP: just reading man pages, searching files, and some good programming knowledge. - MLD