Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MPAA at it again.

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MPAA at it again.
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:27:02 -0500

Leech, Marcus [CAR:1A12:EXCH] wrote:

On the "ashamed to be an engineer" aspect--look at the ARDG (Analog Reconversion Discussion Group) page at the http://www.ctpwg.org website. Given the large number of technology submissions to this group, there must be plenty of engineers who actually think this can be made to work, for suitable definitions of "work".

Ooops, that should be http://www.cptwg.org

So, what if they actually get this stuff through, and all analog-video-to-digital devices have a
 "detect watermark and drop" mandated?

It seems to me, that given ifft(fft(x)) == x, then one could produce a special form of spectral inversion device by taking the bins of a suitable-resolution FFT, re-ordering them to taste, then computing an IFFT on the result. The "video-to-digital" converter would never see its watermark, then you just re-arrange the spectra back to the way it should be after the "watermark detect" phase. But maybe I'm
 all wet, as it were.

--
Marcus Leech                            Mail:   Dept 1A12, M/S: 04352P16
Security Standards Advisor        Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145