[Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio and ubuntu

From: Marcel Maatkamp
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio and ubuntu
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:01:30 +0200

Now that (k)ubunto 5.10 is stable I want to share my installation script because
I see many people fail at installing gnuradio. I took the liberty of modifing
the scripts posted to this list, because they don't seem fail when something's
wrong
and modified it so that it is quite easy to modify it in such way that after
an error you can resume fairly easy. It's not my finest work of art but it
manages to install gnuradio in one go
on ubuntu 5.04 and 5.10 where the fastest run was 89 min without any errors.

There are a few things to note however:

 - gmake equals make in ubuntu, script handles this
 - gnuradio and gcc 4.0 don't play nice together (segfaults on make check)
 - ubunto comes with automake and aclocal 1.4b which is bad, script handles
this also

The most annoying thing I have encountered however is:

 - it will compile everything fine, but running examples will fail with a
    'unknown symbol: pango_x_get_context'

   open gnuradio-libraries/wxPython-src-2.6.1.0/bld, edit the Makefile, search
   for 'EXTRALIBS_GUI' and add an extra '-lpangox-1.0' and do a 'make clean',
'make',
   'make install'

The script will temporarily symlink gcc to gcc-3.4, and make and aclocal
to automake-1.9 and aclocal-1.9 in /usr/bin to avoid conflicts.

So here follows the guide:

Installation
------------

Download and install unbuntu. After that do a

 % apt-get update
 % apt-get dist-upgrade

After that try installing a kernel for your system (686 or amd), search
with apt-cache and install for example:

 % apt-get install linux-kernel-headers linux-tree-2.6.12
 % apt-get install linux-image-2.6.12-9-686 linux-headers-2.6.12-9-686
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-686

Adding the libraries
--------------------

 % apt-get install make libc-dev libncurses-dev autoconf automake1.9 libtool
flex bison \
    gdb gcc-doc gcc-4.0-doc gcc-4.0-locales autoconf2.13 autobook
autoconf-archive gnu-standards \
    debian-keyring automake libltdl3-dev comedi-source libcomedi0
build-essential dialog \
    libstdc++6-4.0-doc stl-manual patchutils devscripts cvs-buildpackage cvs
subversion gnuplot
    ssh openssh-server gnuplot-doc ssh-askpass subversion-tools gcc-3.4
xmms-jack qjackctl \
    jack-tools meterbridge libjackasyn0 libmikmod2 libjack0.80.0-dev
libgtk2.0-dev freeglut3-dev \
    f2c libreadline5-dev python2.4-gtk2 libcppunit-dev libboost-dev
libboost-python-dev gcc-3.4 gxx-3.4 libusb-dev

There are a few extra libraries in there (ssh for example) but having them is
always handy.

Setting up configuration
------------------------

edit '/etc/bash.bashrc' and add the following lines:

 export GNURADIO=$HOME/gnuradio
 export GNURADIOBASE=$GNURADIO-base
 export PATH=.:$GNURADIOBASE/bin:$HOME/bin:$PATH
 export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GNURADIOBASE/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
 export
PYTHONPATH=$GNURADIOBASE/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$GNURADIOBASE/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric:/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH
 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GNURADIOBASE/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 export CVS_RSH=ssh

Reboot the system to activate these lines in all terminals you thereafter open.

After that, run the script:

 % time ./gnuradio_install.sh

Should something fail, just comment everything up to the point the install
script
failed and run it again.

I hope I can make somebody happy with this..

Good luck!
 marcel