[Discuss-gnuradio] support for comedi?

From: Ilia Mirkin
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] support for comedi?
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 04:45:45 -0400

I just ran into a project called Comedi (www.comedi.org) which seems to
support, even in RT kernels (or so they claim), a large number of PCI
data acquisition boards (including the Measurement Computing 4020, which
also has a separate driver in gnuradio, but I and at least one other
person I know have had serious stability issues with the driver in the
gnuradio cvs).

It probably would not be that hard to add support to gnuradio to have a
comedilib source which would be able to use all of the hardware that
they have drivers for. By looking at their API, I can't seem to find a
good way to just get a data stream from the card in an efficient manner,
but this was a very cursory look... Anyways, just thought I'd let people
know it's out there.

Looking over list archives, it seems like this issue has popped up over
the years, though the last reference to it was about 2 years ago
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2003-04/msg00073.html). Was
the reason it was never done that there wasn't a good way to get a stream of
data out of the comedi drivers or library?

  -Ilia