Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dbs_rx problems?

From: Berndt Josef Wulf
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dbs_rx problems?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:25:22 +0930

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 02:00, Eric Blossom wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 07:23:21PM +0930, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > G'day,
> >
> > I appear to have problems in getting the dbs_rx daughter to work. It may
> > yet be another OS (NetBSD usb device) problem. Hopefully, it won't be
> > hardware! Operation of the tvrx daughter board appears to be fine -
> > receiving signals at around -100dbm sensitivity (is this what can be
> > expected?).
> >
> > I'm seeing the following errors when running the dbs_debug.py example:
> >
> > barossa: {57} ./dbs_debug.py
> > RX d'board A: TV Rx
> > RX d'board B: DBS Rx
> > usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: Input/output error
> > usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: Input/output error
> > usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: Input/output error
> > usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: Input/output error
>
> Hi Berndt,
>
> Just to make sure we're really comparing apples-to-apples,
> can you disconnect power from your USRP, then swap the DBS_RX and
> TV_RX boards, then try again?
>
> Both situations use *exactly* the same mechanism to talk to the
> daughterboards.  I can't think of any reason for them to behave
> differently regarding USB control messages.

Hi Eric,

After swapping the boards over several times with following results:

db              A       B
----------------------
dbsrx   ok      err
tvrx            ok      ok
----------------------

In other words, tvrx works in both positions whilst the dbsrx works only in
position A.

I've updated the source code tree today and rebuilt all modules from scratch
again to no avail. For some reasons dbsrx won't work in position B. Here
another output running dbs_nbfm.py.

barossa: {10} ./dbs_nbfm.py 1000e6
usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: Input/output error
RX d'board A: <none>
[...]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./dbs_nbfm.py", line 206, in ?
    app = stdgui.stdapp (nbfm_rx_graph, "NBFM RX")
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/stdgui.py", line
36, in __init__
    wx.App.__init__ (self)
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-ansi/wx/_core.py",
line 7473, in __init__
    self._BootstrapApp()
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-ansi/wx/_core.py",
line 7125, in _BootstrapApp
    return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/stdgui.py", line
39, in OnInit
    frame = stdframe (self.flow_graph_maker, self.title, self._nstatus)
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/stdgui.py", line
60, in __init__
    self.panel = stdpanel (self, self, flow_graph_maker)
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/stdgui.py", line
81, in __init__
    self.fg = flow_graph_maker (frame, self, vbox, sys.argv)
  File "./dbs_nbfm.py", line 48, in __init__
    (success,actual_RF_freq) = dbs.set_freq(RF_freq)
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/db_dbs_rx.py", line 341,
in set_freq
    (byte1,byte2) = self._read_status()
TypeError: unpack non-sequence
barossa: {11}

dbs_debug.py will load and open the wxgui, but no signal is output nor visible
on the fft sink. I noticed whilst some sliders seem operational, some such as
RF Freq, Bandwidth, IF Gain and Gain Step will produce a usb_control_msg
error message.

Do you have any other suggestions? Is there a more current usrp image file
other than usrp_fpga_rev2_2005_07_30.rbf available? There were a lot of
changes since then and perhaps the image is no longer 100% compatible with
the current gnuradio code.

cheerio Berndt