Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DCC this Week!

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DCC this Week!
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:47:56 -0400

Stuart Brorson wrote:
The 24th Annual ARRL and TAPR Digital Communications Conference
September 23-25, 2005
Santa Ana, California
http://www.tapr.org/dcc

[. . . .]

Introductory Sessions
------------------------------
- Intro to Eagle CAD by Dan Welch, W6DFW

Eagle is nice, but unless you pay for the commercial version, it's
crippleware.  I wonder if anybody on this list would be in a position
to talk about (i.e. evangelize) using open-source gEDA for circuit
design?

We'd be happy to have someone talk about gEDA (though it's a bit late now in the schedule to make many changes). Personally, I made my first steps into PCB design this summer, and I started out with gEDA, but frankly the learning curve, particularly in creating/editing components, was just too painful.

I switched to Eagle because at least it will run on Linux. I sure prefer FOSS software whenever possible, but I just found Eagle a much more usable solution. (If you're not aware, they have a "non-profit" license that will do boards up to 4x6 inch with up to 4 layers for $150; not free, but not too bad a price.)

The DCC next year will be in Tucson; if anyone wants to do a gEDA tutorial, you have a year to get ready :-)

John Ackermann
(President, TAPR)