Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Status of BTTV/CX88 capture

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Status of BTTV/CX88 capture
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:00:47 +0200

Cory Papenfuss wrote:
Just wondering if there's been any more progress on that front. A recall awhile back some promising information on continuous raw captures on CX88-based cards. It would definately be an inexpensive way to play.
I haven't been working on this lately.
I still don't own a capture card with this chip.
I did hack the cx3288 driver and others tried this out.
Enabling the RAW_ALL bit didn't result in a continuous capture (yet).

Since there are a lot of (undocumented) registers of which the values are very interrelated hacking a driver when others have to test every change goes very slow.

Of course, buying one of these for myself would increase the development speed but since the outcome might very possibly be that it cannot be done I did'nt do that.

If anybody who has a capture card with this chip wants to go ahead and try
hacking the driver further I would be more then willing to help.
(My code so-far is at
http://www.olifantasia.com/pub/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/cx2388x/
http://www.olifantasia.com/pub/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/bt8x8_driver/
http://www.olifantasia.com/pub/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/examples/
http://www.olifantasia.com/pub/projects/gnuradio/doc/specsheets/
)

Also look in the gnuradio mailing list archives for
[Discuss-gnuradio] using ADC of a TV-card with CX2388x chip or digital
TV-reception chips/cards
[Discuss-gnuradio] ATTN Martin Dvh: cx8800 driver

Since recently, I own an usrp.
I am still interested in using a hacked tv-card since my experiments with the hacked bttv card delivered 60 Msamples/sec to main memory without problem.
With the usrp I am limited to the usb2 bandwidth (which restricts me to 4
Msamples/sec on my pc which has a cheap usb2 pci add-on card).

greetings,
Martin