Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Passive RADAR

From: John Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Passive RADAR
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:47:14 -0700

Krzysztof Kamieniecki wrote:

Eric,

Do you have a presentation you could share with us?

The question is, can you detect a police car's radio from a far enough distance away so that you could slow down before they check your speed with a Laser? From what I have read, people seem to think the radio may be too well shielded.

This for educational purposes, of course.

I was quickly going through the list and this one just happened to catch my eye... there are a number of 'police RADAR' detectors out on the market. There's no need to, execpt for 'educational' purposes, created such a detector.

What 'passive RADAR' suggests to me is using the myrad of RF signals which are emitted all the time, to then monitor and intripolate
the existence of objects which reflect these emissions.

Back in the ancient days be fore Cable TV, and TV channels were received from the air by an antenna, the passing of an aircraft in the line of signal for a TV channel would induce a distortion of the received signal... it was very anoying... but that is the fundamental principle of 'passive' RADAR. Such a distortion received at various locations could then be used to locate the object which was moving through
the signal.