Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] buildit now supports --prefix

From: LRK
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] buildit now supports --prefix
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 15:08:23 -0500

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:41:17PM -0700, Eric Blossom wrote:

> > Is there any reason buildit could not call "gmake" rather than "make"?
> > Apparently Linux uses gmake anyway but FreeBSD does not.
>
> It should build using BSD "make".  If it doesn't please submit a bug
> report providing details.  Preferably with a patch that fixes the
> problem.  [Shouldn't be too hard, there's probably somewhere a
> non-portable make feature slipped in.]

Gmake is not the same as make under FreeBSD and there are a few things in
the Makefiles such as clean that don't work right. Thus I have to use gmake
which is easily done by patching the buildit file.

> > And the --with-boost-include-dir error would go away if gr_boost.m4
> > looked for /usr/local/include/boost as well as /usr/include/boost.
> > This can be fixed with a link:
> >    ln -s /usr/local/include/boost /usr/include/boost
> > but I see no reason gr_boost.m4 should not be able to find it on systems
> > which install boost in /usr/local.
>
> Noted.  Patches welcome.

Soon as I figure out the patches...

> > Also if I clean out gr and download a fresh CVS, gmake check fails. If I
> > go to gnuradio-core and do "gmake install", it installs without errors.
> > Then "gmake check" will run. Still looks like there is some issue with
> > gmake check not finding all the necessary parts of the build it needs
> > before installing is done.
>
> More details please.  Including your platform, OS, output of configure
> and make.  Also, before running the test, be sure to remove anything
> that may have been installed by a previous run.

Every so often I clean out the /usr/gr/...  directory structure and run a
script which re-builds everything. Thus it should be clean except for the
non-gnuradio parts which were installed as root.

Naturally, when I tried to duplicate this, it ran Ok.  Grrrr.
More if I find it.

> A couple of meta-comments are in order:
>
>   I don't have easy access to every platform in the world.
>   I also don't have expert knowledge of every platform.
>   I'd love to have GNU Radio running on as many platforms as possible.
>
>   That said, the way GNU Radio will improve is if people contribute
>   improvements.  I appreciate the problem reports, and there are times
>   when I'm probably the right person to fix the problem.  On the other
>   hand, the more people working on improvements, the faster it will go.
>
>   I'm definitely available to answer questions, offer suggestions, etc.

Since I'm running FreeBSD, I do try to pass along anything I have to fix.

Unfortunately, much of this is new to me. And being retired, sometimes I
have to choose between new toys and food. :)

--
LRK