[Discuss-gnuradio] Alternative interface from PC to a USRP.

From: Lamar Owen
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Alternative interface from PC to a USRP.
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:14:55 -0400

After a brainstorming session at PARI, I've come up with an alternative to
either USB or GigE, with up to three times the throughput of GigE.

Ultra320 SCSI.

Pros:
1.)     Standard software interface from the Linux side (libscg like used for
CD
burners);
2.)     Scalable throughput with PCMCIA UltraWide SCSI available; any given
SCSI
device has to be able to scale from 5MB/s SCSI-1 up through the top end for
the device; Ultra320 gives 320MB/s of throughput, potentially, which would
increase our bandwidth ten times (three time faster than GigE) and would be a
good fit for the chips involved.  The SCSI layer could even be done on an
FPGA, since it's standard LVDS levels for LVD-SCSI.
3.)     Interface boards are available for any throughput range needed without
changing any hardware at the USRP.  Need 10MB/s?  Get a $5 eBay special.
Need the full rate?  get a 64-bit PCI-X U320 screamer.
4.)     External and internal interfaces available.
5.)     Ability to process and redirect streams from one USRP to another one
without CPU intervention over the SCSI bus.

Comments?
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology