Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bandswitch and rf gain added to HF Explorer

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bandswitch and rf gain added to HF Explorer
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:44:49 -0400

Thanks, Chuck -- sounds like useful new features.  I will download and play.

I meant to mention earlier in reference to the filter and the tradeoff
between skirts and CPU usage -- have you looked at the filtering scheme
used in the Flex-Radio SDR-1000 software?  I don't recall the exact
details right now, but it works something along the lines of doing an
FFT to convert the baseband signal back into the frequency domain, and
implementing the filter as a mask against the FFT bins, and then an
inverse FFT back to the time domain.  (I'm an idiot about this stuff, so
probably got some component of that wrong).  The end result is almost
"brick wall" filter skirts without using up too much CPU.

John
----