[Discuss-gnuradio] Gig-E alternatives

From: David P. Reed
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gig-E alternatives
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:36:30 -0400

Though GigE sounds like a good idea to pursue, has anyone thought about using 2 or more USB 2 interfaces as an alternative? I don't know what the typical controller interfaces can handle, but I see three on my AMD64-based laptop, plus a firewire interface - that's potentially about 1.6 Gb/sec combined, but I only have a 100 Mb/s Ethernet interface.

The other thought is that if you are considering putting the peripheral remotely close to an outdoor antenna, perhaps an optical fiber solution would be better - why risk frying your CPU or your body?