[Discuss-gnuradio] "Tempest" for LCD displays?

From: David P. Reed
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Tempest" for LCD displays?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:06:41 -0400

I find it amusing that the idea of using a CRT output to radiate AM and FM band signals is called "Tempest", since it is really anti-Tempest (or inverse-Tempest) (the US gov't security specs called Tempest specs when I was working on DoD security research in the early '70s were designed to prevent spies from decoding classified stuff displayed on secure CRT screens from far away, not to transmit better).

Anyway, now that we have LCD displays growing in popularity, anyone know offhand if they radiate as well as CRTs do, and what the relation between their inputs and the waveforms put out would be?

I'm actually interested in detecting LCD and CRT leakage, and decoding the picture display from both LCDs and CRTs with a remote USRP, as a useful hack for determining what TV channels people are watching nearby (I know you can also listen for the local oscillator in the tuner, but the tube probably leaks more energy, and gives you more information.