[Discuss-gnuradio] Stupid Soundcard Sample Tricks

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Stupid Soundcard Sample Tricks
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:30:52 -0400

Hi --

After successfully getting gnuradio and the USRP to run on my laptop
(Thinkpad R40), I decided it was time to install it on my main hamshack
computer.  Using the lessons I learned the first time, the code built
just fine and I can talk to the USRP.

However, I'm having trouble getting audio out of the box.  The on-board
AC97 soundcard seems frozen at 48ksamples/second, and the example
programs I've tried print something like:

audio_alsa_sink[hw:0,0]: unable to support sampling rate 32000
  card requested 48000 instead.

and I get extremely distorted audio and lots of underruns printing to
the console.

Any suggestions how to resolve this problem?  I messed with the various
decimation params in the example tvrx_wfm program, but managed only to
prove how little I know what's going on inside the system.

Thanks,

John