Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] *much* faster filtering --- plus vhf mountaintopp

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] *much* faster filtering --- plus vhf mountaintopping
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:24:02 +0930

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:49, James Cooley wrote:
> In the other window, do:
> #> gzip -dcf data.gz > testfifo
>

> Seems to work barely on my laptop, which is a 1.6 GHz pentium M
> machine.... HOWEVER, to aid things along even more, I did the captures
> without using X-windows (you don't need it if your not using any guis).
> You can switch consoles in linux with ctl-alt-Fx, where F7 is where your
> x-windows is running. I switched to a console, killed X, used one
> console for the usrp, the other for the piping and zipping.
>
> How well did it work? I did a sweep of the entire front-end's range,
> about 40 minutes of sampling incrementing by 400kHz about every second
> from 50 Mhz to 860 MHz... this gave me a zipped file roughly 600MB.

It would be interesting to see how well say, FLAC or Shorten work at
compressing this stuff.

When I did some tests with our radar systems Shorten worked very well, but I
suspect FLAC would have worked better if it could have been configured for
the right number of channels (ie 300).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum