Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RF Analysis

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RF Analysis
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:24:35 -0400

I suspect the original poster was looking for something a little more sophisticated, but since Richard mentioned using a c program an visa, I'll mention the linux-gpib project which provides drivers and a more-or-less NI compatible library to talk to GPIB cards from several vendors. I've written several programs in Perl to talk to older (ie, sort-of-hobbyist-affordable) HP gear like spectrum analyzers and frequency counters. They're on my website under http://www.febo.com/geekworks, but are sort of scattered around and hard to find. Contact me offline for more details if you're interested.

John
----

Richard Cagley wrote:
If you have a GPIB card, you can use a simple program like this to log data
points in a range of spectrum. This was for an HP spectrum analyzer, but if
you're using visa it shouldn't matter.

// SpectrumSurvey.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <visa.h>
#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>

using namespace std;

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
  ofstream OutputFile("spectrum.dat", ios::out);

  if (!OutputFile)
  {
    cerr<<"File could not be opened"<<endl;
    return -1;
  }

  ViSession defaultRM, vi;
  char buf [256] = {0};
  char buf2 [256] = {0};

  // set the parameters for measurement: in kHz
  int StartFreq = 210000;
  int StopFreq = 240000;
int StepFreq = 25; int NumberRuns = 1;

  // write out the frequencies in the header
  int CurrentFreq = StartFreq;
  while (CurrentFreq < StopFreq)
  {
    OutputFile<<CurrentFreq<<", ";
    CurrentFreq += StepFreq;
  }
  OutputFile<<endl;

  // Open session to GPIB device at address 18
  viOpenDefaultRM (&defaultRM);
  viOpen (defaultRM, "GPIB5::18::INSTR", VI_NULL,VI_NULL, &vi);

  viPrintf (vi, "ID?\n");
  viScanf (vi, "%t", &buf);
  printf ("Instrument identification string: %s\n", buf);

  double ChannelPower;
  // main loop to do measurements
  for (int n = 0; n < NumberRuns; ++n)
  {
    CurrentFreq = StartFreq;
    while (CurrentFreq < StopFreq)
    {
      viPrintf( vi,"IP;SNGLS\n");
      viPrintf(vi, "FA %dMHZ\n", CurrentFreq);
      viPrintf(vi, "FB %dMHZ\n", CurrentFreq+StepFreq);
      viPrintf(vi, "CHP\n");
      Sleep(1000*10);
      viPrintf(vi, "*CHPWR?\n");
      viScanf(vi,"%lf",&ChannelPower);