[Discuss-gnuradio] geda and ???

From: David Carr
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] geda and ???
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:13:38 -0500

Hi all,

I'm looking to change the software I use for schematic capture and
layout.  Currently I use EagleCad
but I'll have to pay extra for a version that does 4 layers and also its
quite expensive $800-1200 if
you want a version that doesn't have non-commercial restrictions.  Is
selling SSRP kits and boards
a commercial operation?  I don't know.

I have access to an OrCad license but getting it to run on linux so far
has been impossible even
though there is a "linux" version.  As a result I've been playing with
gschem and even PCB to some
extent.  I feel that gschem is getting mature enough to be useful but
PCB was a nightmare the time
I tried it.

It looks like Matt uses geda for schematic capture but PADS? for
layout.  Matt, can you comment
on this combination?  It looks like the single-symbol parts have
footprint attributes but I don't see
the footprint on the multisymbol parts.  How bad is symbol creation?  It
looks like you're using tragesym.

Lastly,
Can anyone else comment on gschem and suitable layout options or other
recommended yet
not $1K packages?  Linux support is a must.

Sorry for the long post, searching for answers at this point,
-David Carr