[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP questions

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP questions
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:05:48 -0700

> - I noticed a pattern and serigraphy on the daughterboards which
> correspond to a serial port. What kind of use is there to it ?

If you populate those parts you can have an RS232 port.  Make sure you only put
the RS232 stuff on either the TX side or the RX side, but not both.

> What additional circuitry would I need to expand USRP to be used as a
> dual channel oscilloscope making use of the two A/D chips on the USRP ?
> I mean between the oscilloscope probe and the USRP
> - More generally, have you envisioned an application as an electronics
> test lab where the Tx board could be used as a signal generator and Rx
> as oscilloscope ? Would you have plans to sell these in you on-line shop
> as well ?

All that would be necessary would be to make a board which was the equivalent of
the BasicRX and BasicTX, but which does not block DC.  You would be able to
make a pretty good 4-channel scope, 4 channel signal generator, and 64 channels
to split between logic analyzer and pattern generator.

If there is enough interest, I might make such a set of boards.  If someone else
is interested in the design, the BasicRX/TX are a great starting point, and I
can offer guidance.

Matt