Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] another newbie

From: Ilia Mirkin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] another newbie
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:55:44 -0500

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 14:26 -0600, LRK wrote:
> I'm trying to get into gnuradio, hopefully using FreeBSD. They say you can't
> teach an ol' dawg new tricks so gnuradio may be too many new tricks without
> learning another OS at the same time.
>
> I have downloaded and built the tarballs with some success. The audio tests
> run except the ones with the "hw:0,0: No such file or directory" so I am
> making progress. FreeBSD installs boost in /usr/local so I have to set the
> option --with-boost-include-dir=/usr/local/include/ for ./configure.

The default sound module is ALSA, which I doubt is available for *BSD.
Either don't install the gr-alsa, or edit the audio.py file to not use
it. On second thought, some of the code may be hardcoded to use ALSA --
hw:0,0 is a way of addressing a card in ALSA. If this is the case, you
can probably just edit the scripts.

> Also I can get the CVS files but the bootstrap fails. Some issues with
> where FreeBSD puts automake and such as well as missing variables. More
> when I work that out a bit.

You need a particular version of automake. With gentoo, you can install
multiple versions of automake -- don't know if *BSD ports let you do
that. (Which version of automake you might wonder -- no idea. I think it
was mentioned on the list, but on the machine where it works I have
1.4-1.9 inclusive.) Also there were some problems that could be fixed by
running bootstrap twice. However I think they were addressed recently in
CVS.

> If anyone is using *BSD I can use a little help.
>

> First project is to feed signals from a radio discriminator into the sound
> card for identifying/decoding. Again pointers will be appreciated.

Assuming your sound card has a proper stereo line-in, you can do I/Q
(quadrature) sampling with it assuming that you have the I/Q sources
separated out already (if not, you can rig up a circuit that delays the
signal, http://comsec.com/wiki?QuadratureDemodulator). In any case, make
sure not to overdrive the card so as not to get clipping of the
signal/frying of the card, 1V P-P should work OK. Conversely, you only
16 bits of resolution total, so if your signal is smaller, you lose some
of that.

Hope this helps,

Ilia Mirkin
imirkin _at_ mit.edu