[Discuss-gnuradio] Cypress FX2 thermal issues

From: David Carr
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cypress FX2 thermal issues
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:22:19 -0600

Has anyone had any issues with the Cypress FX2 overheating? Ordinarily I have the LTC1746 board connected to the ElraSoft FX2 board. However right now I'm experimenting with my Spartan 3 dev board. Everything seems to run fine for 10-15 minutes at which point I stop getting data from the FX2.

There is some interesting behavior though:
Leaving the FX2 powered on and data bus connected things get slightly warm but not hot. I can leave it in this state indefinately with no issues and start sucking data via USB at any time.

But,
As soon as I start moving data via USB I can feel the temperature of the FX2 increase. After running for a while it seems to stop sending data. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to fix the problem. Also, it seems that holding my fingers on the chip reduces or eliminates the problem. Right now I have a C-clamp attached to it as a primative heat sink and I'll see if the problem recurs.

Just fishing a little... curiously this problem has never occured with the LTC board (to my knowledge).

-David Carr