Re: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problem with audio extraction in NTSC

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problem with audio extraction in NTSC
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:27:34 -0800

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 05:37:47AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> > Great.  I don't know anything about this package.  It would however be
> > great it it worked with wxPython.  I'd hate to give up the cross
> > platform portability.
>

> The package appears to be written mostly in Fortran.  I'm not sure
> how cross platform that makes it.  Also, a quick test that I did
> using dummy data (just plotting an array) was burning about 30% CPU
> on my P4 2.4 at 10 frames per second.  I'll see if I can improve
> this but initial results could look better...  If this doesn't work
> out what other avenues should we consider?  What was the issue with
> the old Qt versions?

Qt is *not* free for either OS/X or Windows.
As far as I know there is not a well developed set of bindings for use
from Python.

The only real problem with wxPython as far as I can tell is the
plotting speed.  We should keep our attention on this one problem and
not jump ship.

First off we should determine *where* it's slow.  Is it the python code,
or is it the c++ stuff?  There are at least two tools available to us:
oprofile and the python profiler.  If it's in the python, again, let's
measure.  If it's related to the use of numeric for some of the
processing, we can easily move that into the C++ part of gnu radio.

Worst case, we recode the wxgui/plot.py class into C++.  This should
be pretty much of a mechanical translation.  I seriously doubt that
the underlying wxWidgets line drawing code has any performance
problem.

Again, start with performance measurements, then go from there.

Eric