[Discuss-gnuradio] [maybe little offtopic] configurable digital RF tx/rx

From: Pedro Díaz Jiménez
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] [maybe little offtopic] configurable digital RF tx/rx
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:31:19 +0200

Hi there,

First of all, I apologize for posting a somewhat offtopic post here, since
what I want to ask about is not directly related to GNUradio. Reading the
mail archives I got the feeling that there are quite a lot of folks here that
have a good understanding of software radio

I am a student working on my master's thesis. The research area for the thesis
is ad-hoc networks, more concretely the MAC level.

I am looking for some kind of card/peripheral for digital RF communications.
The card should allow configuration (by software) of:
 - Base frequency (preferably in the VHF range)
 - Codification/modulation

From my (limited) understanding this could be implemented  in software radio,
but then all the codification/decodification of the digital signal would need
to be done by the computer (which would mean a lot of work that is out of the
scope of my thesis, and also a possible loss of performance compared to a HW
implementation, right?). I've also seen a lot of "radio-modem" products out
there, but they don't seem to be what I'm looking for.

To recapitulate: I'm looking for a device that would let me:
 - Configure it to tx/rx in a range of frequencies
 - Configure how the digital signal is modulated in the analog carrier
 (maybe from a set of choices)
 - Send/Receive data from/to the host computer more or less easily
 (easy being defined as me not having to implement a modulation
 technique in software)

 So, any of you guys know of anything remotely similar to what I'm
describing?. I've googled and googled without any significant results; all I
got was either radio modem stuff or either software radio stuff. I (think)
that I'm looking for something "between" these two.

Also, going more on-topic: An alternative would be to use gnuradio, provided
that someone already has implemented some modulation technique for
transmitting/receiving data. I've seen some mailing list posts about
implementing OFDM for gnuradio, but couldn't find anything specific apart
from these posts.

Any kind of help/orientation/pointer to vendor/tip would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
 Pedro

--
Pedro Diaz

http://www.cavecanen.org/

PGP/GPG Key ID: 1024D/E118C651

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers"
   -- Pablo Picasso