[Discuss-gnuradio] scopesink, wxgui, Mac OS X

From: Jonathan Jacky
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] scopesink, wxgui, Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:19:16 -0800 (PST)

Has anyone got scopesink.py (or any of the other demos in wxgui) working
under Mac OS X?

I've installed gnuradio, wxPython, and all their prerequisites on Mac
OS X (versions given below).  Each works by itself.  I can run
gnuradio without the GUI (using file sinks to write the output, which
I can display in gnuplot), and I can run the wxPython demos that come with
that distribution.

But I can't run them together - when I try "pythonw scopesink.py", or
the other demos in wxgui --- fftsink or waterfall --- I get a crash
and traceback (sample below).

The wxgui programs get pretty far before they crash.  scopesink
displays the scope window and plots the two sine waves (sometimes just
one).  The traceback suggests that it crashes when it tries to clear
the display to draw the next trace.

This suggests to me that there is nothing missing or grossly
misconfigured in my installation.  Perhaps I have the wrong
combination of versions of the many packages I have installed.  Or
maybe there are portability problems in scopesink.py or plot.py or
elsewhere in wxgui (I am not sufficiently experienced with Python to
know if this is likely or even possible).

So, before I begin digging into this, I would be interested to learn
wether anyone else has succeeded in running scopesink.py under Mac OS X.
If they could tell me what versions they were running, I would be
especially grateful.

Here is the software I installed, in this order:

 Mac OS X "Panther", 10.3.7, Darwin 7.7.0, with GCC 3.3, Python 2.3

 darwinports from http://darwinports.com
 autoconf 2.59_0 and automake 1.9.4_0 from darwinports
 swig 1.3.22 from http://www.swig.org/
 libtool 1.5.2 and libtoolize 1.5.2 from darwinports
 pkgconfig 0.15.0 from darwinports
 fftw-3 3.0.1-fma, Revision 2 from darwinports
 boost 1.31.0 from darwinports
 cppunit 1.10.2 from http://cppunit.sourceforge.net

 GNU Radio 2.X from CVS, Jan 11, 2005

 wxPython 2.5.3.1, Mac binaries (.dmg) from www.wxPython.org
 numarray 1.1.1 source tar from sourceforge.net/projects/numpy
 Numeric 23.7 source tar from sourceforge

Here is the traceback I get when I try "pythonw scopesink.py".  It
seems to include three separate tracebacks --- I'm not sure what that
means.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/plot.py",
   line 896, in OnSize
    self.Clear()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/plot.py",
   line 825, in Clear
    dc = wx.BufferedDC(wx.ClientDC(self), self._Buffer)
  File "//Library/Python/2.3/wx-2.5.3-mac-ansi/wx/_gdi.py",
   line 3909, in __init__
    newobj = _gdi_.new_BufferedDC(*args)
wx._core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "m_buffer.Ok()"
 failed in /BUILD/wxPython-src-2.5.3.1/include/wx/dcbuffer.h(94):
  invalid bitmap in wxBufferedDC

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scopesink.py", line 359, in format_data
    npoints = len (records[0])
IndexError: list index out of range
... (previous four lines repeat 10 times)

Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/
          threading.py", line 436, in __bootstrap
    self.run()
  File "scopesink.py", line 155, in run
    for ch in range (nchan):