[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: mc4020 driver for 2.6 (1 of 3)

From: Meenal
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: mc4020 driver for 2.6 (1 of 3)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:08:38 -0600

Thanks Eric for the mc4020 patch. The fix works with mc4020 hardware.I had to still tweak a little to get everything in order. I was unable to find the mc4020 driver, on executing cat /proc/devices. I found out that FC3 uses a new device loading system making use of /udev instead of /dev.
A quick fix for loading mc4020 , I came up with is :
$ cd /dev/
$ cp -a mc4020*  /etc/udev/devices
$ chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/mc4020

There is one issue still. I was able to run fm_demod.py for a single channel but when I try to execute ./fm_demod.py 97.5 94.5 , the script runs for some time and then my machine freezes. I am working on the CVS patch for 2.6 /2.4. Will check it back into the repository soon.
Many thanks,
Meenal

At 08:09 AM 1/14/2005 -0800, you wrote:
On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:45:00PM -0600, Meenal wrote:
> Thanks Eric ,
> I made progress with the build after changing the SWIG version.
> Now the build fails during ./configure for gr-mc4020. The error is:
> checking whether the g77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
> yes
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
> checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
> checking for mc4020 A/D driver include file... no
> configure: error: mc4020.h not found.
>
> You have mentioned on the mailing list that there are issues with mc4020 on
> the 2.6 kernel and there is a patch available. The kernel for FC3 is
> 2.6.9-1.667. I am wondering if that is the cause for this failure. If so
> then is the patch available to download on the GNU website?
> Many Thanks,
> Meenal

Hi Meenal,

I have two piece of mail about the 4020 driver.  I'll forward them in
the next two messages.  The first message has a first cut, but didn't
properly handle multiple cards.  It did have more explanation about
what was done.  The second message has a revised version that fixes my
concern with the first one.

I haven't tried either of these.  I'd appreciate it if you could test
these out and let me know how it goes.  If you can, please come up
with a clean patch against CVS HEAD.  If you can't come up with a
clean way to support 2.4 and 2.6, then just come up with a clean way
to support 2.6 and we'll distribute two different tarballs.

Do you have a mc4020 to test this with?

Thanks!
Eric