Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CVS compilation problems

From: Tom Huppi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CVS compilation problems
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:39:59 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Eric Blossom wrote:

<snip>

> Could also be a problem related to automake 1.9.
> I belive that Tom Huppi reported a problem a bit earlier.

Hi, Ya, I see some output that is at least related to on of the
issues I had (a libtool problem to be aware of.)  automake 1.9
generates some significantly different Makefiles, but I've not
pinned any known problems on them.  Did not get to the bottom of
my problmes either yet, and it's on the back burner as I've
invested in a SW radio and am working on getting various other
software built for it.  My hope is to be able to feed the IF in
and start learning how to process it with GnuRadio, but I'll start
with less advanced software first to try to get my feet wet.

I was going to publish my notes when I got to a reasonable point,
but here are some clips you might find helpfull.  The first part
is to give a frame of reference about my system:

BTW, for some inexplicable reason, aclocal started choosing no
libtool macros rather than the wrong one on my system at some
point in my experiments.  In any event, the fix I proposed solved
that issue too.

------------------------------

I'm using a FreeBSD system which underwent an upgrade ('cvsup',
'makeworld', 'portupgrade', etc) just prior to the release of
5.3.  I jumped the gun just a little, but things were pretty
locked down for the release so I anticipate that most or all
of these issues might be seen by those with the first 'stable'
release of the FreeBSD 5.x line.  On the other hand, I may not
have done my upgrade perfectly so that could be a source of
issues too.  In any event, those with low bandwidth connections
may well have machines with a similar history to mine and may
run across the same set of problems...

I tend to install a minimal system and build everything from
ports (rather than pre-compiled packages.)

Some port distributions require the use of auto(x) tools.  In
my opinion, this is as often as not a sign of ignorance on the
part of the distro maintainers but be that as it may, it has
resulted on multiple versions of the auto(x) tools on my system.
Trashing and/or changing them has the potential to ruin my
ability to upgrade ports using FreeBSD's ports infrastructure
('portupgrade' and friends) so I am reticent to do that.

Life could be easier (or not!) if I were to choose a 'one
true' version of the auto(x) tools, root around trashing and
symlinking things, and call this a dedicated dev box for the foo
project, but I don't wish to do that if it is aviodable.

---------

Big problems with libtool. Symptoms are that configure
bombs not being able to find './ltconfig'.  The issue seems
to be that both libtool13.m4 and libtool15.m4 exist in
/usr/local/share/aclocal and they both contain a varient of the
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL macro.  Exactly how and why both m4 collections
made it into that location is unclear pending further research,
but whatever the case, aclocal seems to choose to integrate the
1.3 macro into ./aclocal.m4, and libtool 1.5 does not use or
create a link for ./ltconfig.

A viable solution is to but a copy of the desired libtool macro
library into the ./config directory:

address@hidden ~/src/gnuradio/co/gr-build/gnuradio-core/config> cp
/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool15.
m4 .