Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal Hardware to Run Gnuradio on?

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal Hardware to Run Gnuradio on?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:53:16 -0800

Signal processing isn't best done on "minimal" processors.  At this
early stage of development, overbuild the hardware, because you don't
really know how much CPU your particular software radio application is
going to need, until you build and debug it.

I suggest prototyping your GNU Radio application using an ordinary PC
and an ordinary USRP, before building custom boards with low-power
mobile processors.

The community will get around to handheld software radio units --
probably by repurposing some standard radio built by a major mfr.  But
part of why we wrote GNU Radio before building any hardware was that
understanding the signal processing, and programming it so that it can
usefully run in realtime, is a large fraction of the work.

So if what turns you on is building hardware, find a software geek who
you can team up with.  They can start writing the signal processing
modules now, while you're still looking at parts catalogs.

        John