Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Practicality of DC-light RF front-end?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Practicality of DC-light RF front-end?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:28:50 -0500

Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> Sure, I'll grant you that; I was just saying that software defined
> radio, beginning with digital IF, has become real.  Until 6 GHz ADCs
> with huge dynamic range and associated FPGAs are the norm, we need a
> more conventional RF front end to feed a signal to a digital IF
> processor.  There doesn't seem to be a plethora of off-the-shelf open
> designs one could copy to create one, however, hence my interest.

Yup.

I'll point out that "real" radio astronomers use digitizers with amazing
  bandwidth, but poor dynamic range.  It's not unusual to find several
  Ghz of bandwidth, but only 1 or 2 bits in the A/D.  And an ornate and
  elaborate correlator array to go with it...

> You can buy PC104+ single board PCs, with integrated PCI/Ethernet/USB,
> for a few hundred dollars; it's getting hard to find cheaper, stripped
> down ones you could press into service as a "controller" for a SDR
> peripheral.  But they do run Linux and can do anything a PC can do.

Probably overkill.

Noone has answered my question yet about the expected MSRP for
  the USRP.

--
Marcus Leech                Mail:   Dept W669, M/S: 04352P16
Advisor                     Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145