[Discuss-gnuradio] Sharp BS2S7HZ1204 tuner

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sharp BS2S7HZ1204 tuner
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:22:38 -0500

I spent last winter playing with the Sharp BS2S series DBS direct-conversion quadrature tuner module.

I have full data on the module, and was able to use it in the following project:

http://www.propulsionpolymers.com/radioastronomy/seti_receiver.pdf

The unit that I use is shown here:

http://www.sharpsma.com/sma/products/rf/dbs2.htm              (BS2S7HZ1204)

The unit is programmed via I2C, with the AGC voltage set via an analog input between 0.8 and 2.7V.

It's a direct conversion quadrature receiver producing I and Q outputs stretching from DC-<programmable bandwidth>. The bandwidth is programmable from 2.5 to 20Mhz, and the frequency is programmable in increments of 62.5Khz between 950Mhz and 2150Mhz.

Since this is an I2C unit, and Gnu Radio already has I2C routines, it should be fairly straightforward for someone to take the routines that I wrote for the above project and integrate them into
 Gnu Radio.

I also have a .PDF of the datasheet for this device somewhere.

I was able to get the tuner as a free sample, but even in 1s and 2s from the local distributor, they're
 only about CDN$12.00/apiece.