Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal Hardware to Run Gnuradio on?

From: Tom Huppi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal Hardware to Run Gnuradio on?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 03:22:07 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, David Carr wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I don't see whats wrong with that at all.  As long as your disks can
> handle the transfer rate you're set.

Ya, that was one of my bigger concerns, especially if several
machines were reading while writing was happening (raw and
possibly processed data.)  I've been impressed with how well
striping works, at least on SCSI systems, and guestimated that the
potential problems here could be mitigated to a resonable extent.

The other concern I have is how Via's southbridge handles GigE.
If they cheat and load things on the PCI bus, I could see it
being overloaded.  Have not been able to find any info or
experiance on this issue yet.

> Even for really high rate USB transfers (40MB/sec) I see around
> 10% utilization on a P4 2.4.

That's good to know (and surprising to me!)  Do I understand
correctly that this is the load in processing, say, hdtv in the
form output by the USRP into an mpeg stream (or whatever)?

I would expect that some types of processing are significanty more
CPU intensive than others.  Would you concur, and if so, can you
put a vauge, order-of-mag type estimate to the issue?

> Also,
> some of my initial research actually streamed the captured data from the
> capture machine over a network to other more gutsy machines.  I don't
> know if that's an option in you application.

Frankly, I don't have an 'application' per se.  May fuzzy longish
term dream is to have a device which could scan around looking for
interesting things 'floating around' and convert them to a form
which would amuse me :)

Thanks,

 - Tom