Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr.firdes_hilbert () usage

From: Dan Gisselquist
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr.firdes_hilbert () usage
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:31:49 -0700

Chuck,

Now I follow what you are doing ... thanks for the web link--it really helped explain things for me.

You're trying to pull off a single sideband from a complex sampled input. (At least, that's what the phasing method of image rejection in the web-link discusses ...) May I suggest an alternate approach? Just use a complex filter:

Complex samples -> Complex filter -> Single sideband

Start with a lowpass filter that passes the bandwidth of your signal. Shift this filter up in frequency by multiplying it by a complex exponential at half your bandwidth ...

e^(j 2pi (BW/2) n)

If your original filter was real, like any good lowpass filter, the output of this operation will be a complex filter. Apply this complex filter to your input and you'll have the output you are looking for.

How's this sound?

Dan

On 11/24/2004 03:53:14 PM, Matt Ettus wrote:
Quoting cswiger <address@hidden>:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Dan Gisselquist wrote:
>
> > Chuck,
> >
> > I think you are comparing apples to oranges.  Using the block
diagram
> > you've presented below, a more appropriate way to get complex
sampling
> > would be ...
> >

> Hi Dan - Well untill I get something working any and all input is
> welcome ;)   I'm working from figure 13 here:
>
> http://members.tripod.com/michaelgellis/mixerscom.html
>

> Phasing method of image rejection.

Basically, the hilbert transform must be on the real side of the
mixers.  The
input to both the delay and the hilbert filter must be the same for it
to work.

Matt