[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: CVS gr-build module

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: CVS gr-build module
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:20:52 -0700

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 08:46:07AM +0930, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> thank you for your help. It now complains about a missing
> gr_fir_XXX.h.t file and I suspect that there are more once I get past this
> point.  Also, are sources availabe via cvs?
>
> cheerio Berndt
> VK5ABN

I forgot to mention, there's now a new module in CVS called gr-build.
It makes working with all the modules in CVS much easier.
First checkout gr-build.  Then use its tools to checkout and build the
rest.  It's much easier than doing it all by hand.

Here's the README from gr-build.

#
# Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#
# This file is part of GNU Radio
#
# GNU Radio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
# any later version.
#
# GNU Radio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#
# along with GNU Radio; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
# the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
# Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
#

This directory contains a set of tools that ease working across all
the CVS repositories and modules that compose GNU Radio.

  ./checkout [--anon]

  checkout performs a CVS checkout of all modules that compose GNU
  Radio.  Depending on the value of the USER environment variable,
  either an anonymous or developer checkout is performed.  Anonymous
  checkouts return the same data, but changes can't be committed.
  The checkouts are into subdirectories of the current dir.

  Generally speaking, checkout only needs to be used once.  See
  for-all-dirs for examples of cvs updates.

  ./for-all-dirs [any shell command line...]

  for-all-dirs executes the given shell command in all subdirectories.
  The order the directories are visited is controlled by the contents
  of the .buildpri file in each subdirectory.  The .buildpri files have
  values such that the proper build order is obtained.

  To build everything from scratch, first use the checkout command,
  then execute:

    ./for-all-dirs ../buildit

  This performs the bootstrap, configure, make, make check, make
  install sequence on each directory.

  Another common use is to grab the latest changes from all the CVS
  repositories:

    ./for-all-dirs cvs -q up

  Everything else works as you'd expect.  E.g.,

    ./for-all-dirs cvs -nq up    # see what's new, but don't update
    ./for-all-dirs make clean
    ./for-all-dirs cvs -q commit # check everything in

Happy hacking!