Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 950-2150Mhz frontend

From: cfk
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 950-2150Mhz frontend
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:46:40 -0700

Dear Krzysztof & others:

    On the questions of the meaning of the -65dBm to -25dBm spec, what is
happening here is a definition of the minimum (-65dBm) signal level and
maximum (-25dBm) signal level that the Sharp module is designed for. I
believe that these front ends are intended to be used with an external LNB
(Lo Noise Block) converter to actually receive the signal from the
satellite. If you look at http://cfk.homelinux.com/gunradio , near the
bottom of the directory listing is sharp_BS2S7HZ1204.pdf . This file is 11
pages and shows more detail then the Sharp page you have below. I started
out with the two page document:
http://www.sharpsma.com/sma/products/rf/pdf/102.pdf and it just frustrated
me.

    In going through http://cfk.homelinux.com/gunradio/sharp_BS2S7HZ1204.pdf
, You can see that the DBS frontend supplies 25VDC @ 400mA to the LNB. Its
up at the LNB that the raw sensitivity is obtained sufficient to receive
either GPS or DBS signals. View the '1204 module and the little frontend
board as an interface to the USRP.

    If you go to http://www.sharpsma.com/sma/products/rf.htm , you can see a
picture of the LNB next to the '1204 module.

    The key question we have is "Is this an appropriate enough module for
the second frontend board?". I suspect there will be many frontend boards
for various purposes. The frontend boards are not complicated nor expensive.
We just need to move forward a little bit at a time to make gnuradio as
useful as possible as quickly as possible.

    Dont worry about bandwidth usuage of my computer, that is no problem.
All the files in the directory at http://cfk.homelinux.com/gunradio are for
the benefit of the gnuradio participants. This directory is just a
compilation of files including schematics and datasheets appropriate for
frontend work.

Charles