Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FrontEnd4702 take 2

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FrontEnd4702 take 2
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:35:09 -0800

>     The two 4702 tuners just *barely* fit between the top mounting holes and
> the interface connector. I just dont see any other way to fit the 3 pounds
> of stuff into the 2.5 pound bag right now. Although again, I am all ears.

My suggestion is to make a 1-tuner board that's easier to debug and
modify.  We're working with hardware that fewer than ten running prototypes
exist for; let's keep it as simple as we can (but no simpler) until
we have it all working in production quantites.  Then it'll be easy
to drop two of whatever circuits are popular onto a single board.

>     There are now two 4702 tuners on the board. ...  The agc voltages
> are common, although if you think the opamp should be a dual and use the
> aux_dac_b, that is OK with me.

Long experience teaches not to build replicated hardware with strange
ties and quirks.  If you really want two on the board, make sure that
their AGC gains can be independently controlled, so that software can
treat them the same.  What a pain it wold be to be able to receive on two
bands simultaneously, but not to be able to hear both, because their
signals are at different levels!

A question: Do these 4702's have an uplink (TX) channel, like the other
Microtunes that we got prototype boards for?  If so, is it hooked up?

        John