Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP update, etc

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP update, etc
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:31:36 -0800

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:38:21AM +0000, Nick Waterman wrote:
> Eric Blossom wrote:
> >You will need some kind of USB 2.0 interface on your machine.  We've
> >tested a few PCMCIA cards, and they work, but the throughput is about
> >25% of what I see on my ibm labtop.
>
> Is a labtop a bit like a laptop but more scientific?   ;-)

exactly ;-)

> Linux Kernel 2.6 has, as you probably all know, recently been
> released. It is supposed to have significant USB and firewire
> performance enhancements over 2.4. I was wondering whether you guys
> have experimented with 2.6, or whether you've been running
> bleeding-edge 2.5 and 2.6 pre-releases all along anyway?   :-)

I haven't messed with 2.5 or 2.6, though my understanding from lurking
on the linux-usb-devel list is that much of the host controller
architecture has been back ported to 2.4.22.

I don't expect to see much over 32 MB/sec.  At that speed, the bottle
neck gets pushed into the firmware on the USRP.  We've already
grabbed the low hanging fruit, and can sustain throughput greater than
many of the existing host controllers.

Eric