[Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Based Solutions and Linux Developer Hostility

From: Joshua Hayworth
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Based Solutions and Linux Developer Hostility
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:30:02 -0700

Hello All,

Just a thought...

First, read the post below.

I am a 23 year old independent Microsoft developer and started my own sole
proprietorship called Hayworth Software Development.

I just got my FCC Amateur Radio Technician license maybe 4 or 5 months ago.  I
haven't eaven purchased my first radio yet.  I'm looking very closely at that
SDR-1000 as my first purchase.

I primarily use C# on the .NET platform, but I am slowly learning the inns and
outs of C++ using both Visual Studio.NET 2003 and Gcc on the Linux platform.
Needlesss to say, I haven't gotten that far yet.  I hope to help Mr. Rodd Judd
out in the process of converting GNU Radio to the win32 platform and maybe even
write a wrapper for .NET use.

I realize that this is a Linux based list and I may be starting a huge flame
war, but can somebody help me understand this massive hostility for Microsoft
and the Windows platform?

<shrug>

Maybe I'm just young and nieve, but I'm just not understanding how developing
for one platform can be any more difficult that developing for another.  It's
not like you don't have the documentation that you need
(http://msdn.microsoft.com, http://www.codeproject.com/, ... Et all).

Joshua Hayworth (KD7USN)
Camano Island, WA