Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software HDTV

From: Seth David Schoen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software HDTV
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:12:18 -0700

Eric Blossom writes:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:35:22AM +0800, Daniel Piccoli wrote:
> > I've heard that realtime software HDTV is not yet possible with current
> > processor speeds. Is it possible remedy this by using networked
> > distributed computing (provided we are on a low latency network)?
>
> [...]
>
> After the symbol timing recovery we're running at 10.76M
> samples/second, so the data rate falls down into the range of
> 43MB/sec.  The final output rate is about 19 Mbit/sec (2.4 MB/sec)

If you wanted to _watch_ TV in real-time, as opposed to just recording
the transport stream to disk, you'd need additional processing on that
(MPEG2 decoding).  I tried watching an ATSC transport stream on an older
machine (from around 2000) with an unoptimized software decoder, and it
simply couldn't keep up.

--
Seth David Schoen <address@hidden> | Very frankly, I am opposed to people
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | being programmed by others.