Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software HDTV

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software HDTV
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:55:37 -0700

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:35:22AM +0800, Daniel Piccoli wrote:
> I've heard that realtime software HDTV is not yet possible with current
> processor speeds. Is it possible remedy this by using networked
> distributed computing (provided we are on a low latency network)?

Sure.  Doesn't even have to be that low latency, since we're really
pushing a big pipeline of data around.

You'll need pretty good i/o on the machines, since the data rates
don't fall off until pretty far up the pipeline.

Sorry, I can't locate a piece of email I put together with all the
data rates through the various sections, but the beginning of the
pipeline is running at 20M/samples / sec, 4 bytes / sample (float), so
you're looking at 80MB/sec.  That'll barely fit across 33MHz PCI and
would require gig ethernet between the boxes.

After the symbol timing recovery we're running at 10.76M
samples/second, so the data rate falls down into the range of
43MB/sec.  The final output rate is about 19 Mbit/sec (2.4 MB/sec)

Eric