Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Microtune 4937 RF module discontinued ...

From: Alan Gray
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Microtune 4937 RF module discontinued ...
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:56:57 +1000

At 08:27 AM 22/07/03 -0500, you wrote:

At 5:28 PM +1000 7/22/03, Alan Gray wrote:
I've had the same problems finding the 4937 tuner, and am currently in the process of adapting the hardware design to use a 4702 tuner module with an IF output at 36MHz. When we contacted Microtune they suggested using a tuner such as the 4702 and an additional downconversion stage (they suggested the NEC Electronics UPC2798GR which is apparently what they use in the 4937 tuners anyway)

I've ordered a few of the NEC IC's but they're taking a long time to arrive. In the mean time I'm going to attempt to put together some hardware to use a 4702 module as is. I'm hoping that I should be able to sample the bandlimited signal without any downconversion (it's theoretically possible) and thus avoid the need for any more components.

I've been shying away from Microtune since they and their manufacturers rep for my area have been so difficult to work with. They sent me a sample of the 4937 and swore up and down they still had them in stock (in the Philippines) but for the life of me I could not get them to send me an official quote. I was all set to buy $1000 of tuners (their minimum order) and told them the PO would be cut as soon as I got a quote, but they don't seem to be interested in my business. (I tried for weeks to get a quote.) Given this experience, I am reluctant to jump to another Microtune product. If you're willing to do an external downconversion from 36-44 MHz, it seems to me that there are a lot of tuners available to consider... I've been looking at the Zarlink chips... Anyone else have any good candidates?

I'm looking at using the 4702 chips primarily because I have a contact within Panasonic in Australia who has access to around 500 of these modules (around $7000 worth, give or take) and is, in his own words, "Looking to off-load them to a good cause" because they have no further use for them.

At the moment I have a box of 144 of the things sitting in a corner of my office and it seemed to be a waste not to at least attempt to use them. Unfortunately, as I'm in Australia, it's not really feasible for me to act as a distributor for these modules in ones and twos, as the time taken to export them and the costs involved would be rather prohibitive.

I think I have discussed the possibility of sending a bulk load of these tuners to someone in the US to distribute, however there didn't seem to be much interest at the time.

Regardless, I believe I've finished the design work and have put in orders for some parts, hopefully they'll arrive soon, and I'll be able to verify that I have a useful design.

Alan