RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress

From: Ettus, Matt
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:30:32 -0700

> > Ok.  So there are 3 sound connectors used on the sound card.  This
> > presents a problem for laptops which have only 2.  Of
> course, my laptop
> > doesn't have a parallel port either.

> I've already talked with Gerald about one aspect of this, the
> lack of a mic
> input on my M-Audio Delta card.  A combination of a line amp
> and a switch
> using one of the spare control outputs should provide a
> workaround for
> that.  That would probably also work for the two-plug
> soundcard on a laptop.

One more relay on the board would have solved this whole problem.

This is why I think the easiest solution for now is a 2-card setup.  This
has the advantage of not requiring you to disconnect your normal mic and
speaker from your PC, and they can still be used by other programs.  You
just connect the SDR-1000 to the second sound card.

Exceptions:
- If all you need to do is receive (i.e. shortwave listening) you can use
one card very easily
- If you are only interested in digital modes, you can just use a single
card, since you don't need to talk/hear

Matt