RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress

From: Ettus, Matt
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:44:04 -0700

> 1.  In RX mode, the soundcard mixer is set to use line in for
> the IF, and
> in the radio the line out/speaker out (whichever you have)
> signal is routed
> to the speakers.  The soundcard output is mapped to use wave out, and
> disable line in (otherwise, the speakers output the raw IF
> signal, which is
> interesting but not what we're looking for).
>
> 2.  In TX mode, the soundcard mixer is set to use mic in, the
> mic plugs
> into the mic jack on the radio and is routed to the mic in
> connector on the
> soundboard, and line out/speaker out is used to deliver the IF to the
> radio.  The speaker is out of the system at that point.  The
> soundcardmixer
> is switched to send wav out to the line out/speaker out jack.
>
> So, Gerald is using switching both on the board and in the
> soundcard mixer
> to use a single card for both RX and TX functions.  It's clearly a
> half-duplex system.

Ok.  So there are 3 sound connectors used on the sound card.  This presents
a problem for laptops which have only 2.  Of course, my laptop doesn't have
a parallel port either.

Note to people designing hardware -- design for the interfaces computers
will have when the design is ready, not the computers you already have.
Parallel ports are going the way of the dodo, replaced by a combination of
USB, ethernet, and bluetooth.

Matt