[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: MicroTune Tuners

From: Ian Wraith
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: MicroTune Tuners
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 23:21:45 +0100

Hello
     I can't work out why but it seems as though most modern tuners are
difficult to obtain despite them being in just about all TV's. A while
back I was after a Philips UV916 for another project. This is a 50 Mhz to
850 MHz I2C controlled tuner with an IF around 40 MHz and has been
described as one of the most common TV tuners around. Now I can easily buy
the ancient voltage controlled tuners but could not find a UK source for a
UV916 or in fact any I2C controlled tuner. In the end I obtained an Italian
copy of the UV916 from a supplier in the Netherlands. For some reason
Satellite TV set top box tuners are easier to obtain but they cover 1 GHz
to 2 GHz with an IF of around 70 MHz.

 Incidentally if anyone is interested I have found this place who sold me
the UV916 ..

http://www.xs4all.nl/~barendh/Indexeng.htm

is a really good source of otherwise impossible to obtain RF bits. Also
you lucky non-EU'ers get a 19% discount thanks to not having to pay
sales tax.

Regards

Ian