Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Linux

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Linux
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:30:13 -0800

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 09:03:18AM +1100, Alan Gray wrote:
> Further to my endless questions regarding putting together a new system
> for GNU Radio, I'm curious as to what variety/brand/type/flavor of
> Linux people are using on their machines for GNU Radio.
>
> Should there be any real performance issues motivating my choice? (is
> it worth looking at real-time linux?) Or is it just a personal
> preference with minimal impact on the performance of the code? Also, is
> there anything specific I should look for to support parallel
> processing?
>
> A rather inane question I know, but useful none the less
>
> Alan

I happen to be running Mandrake 9.0.
I've been a Mandrake user for years, and am happy with it.

Mandrake installs easily from the CD's.  It automatically detects
things such as the availability of multi processors or lots of memory
(> 1GB) and selects an appropriate kernel.  They ship modules for
pretty much every kind of hardware out there.  I suspect the same is
true for RedHat and the others, I just don't have any recent
experience with them.

I don't think your choice of distribution will make much difference
regarding performance.

Eric