Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Salon article -- off topic

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Salon article -- off topic
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:33:45 -0800

At 08:35 AM 3/13/2003 -0800, Dewayne Hendricks wrote:
[Note: David Reed is not on this list and he has asked me to forward to the list his comments on Steve Schear's recent post. DLH]

From: "David P. Reed" <address@hidden>
To: Dewayne Hendricks <address@hidden>, Steve Schear <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Salon article -- off topic
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:43:16 -0800

At 05:33 AM 3/13/2003 -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
David Reed's physics is not strictly correct. He maintains that "Photons in free space act almost exclusively as waves. Therefore, when they cross paths they merely set up an interference pattern for the very brief time of their interaction. No energy is exchanged and the quantum state of each photon is unchanged after they pass each other."

Steve, Dewayne -

I never said this.  (and I wouldn't have)

Here's what I said in my mail:

Steve - of course you are right that when two photons interact with an electron they can produce other photons with surprising behaviors.

We see these interactions every day. That is how signals interact inside antennas. (which are seas of electrons). That is how signals reflect and refract. You can get frequency doubling, you can get tropospheric tunneling, etc.

QED explains everything about radio, in theory, and it is remarkably precise. and predictive. It's one of the most well established parts of science.

David's right. The misquote was due to my misinterpretation of the quoted text exchanged between David, another party and myself.

steve