Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Future USB hardware questions

From: Matthew Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Future USB hardware questions
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:07:34 -0800

Quoting Seth David Schoen <address@hidden>:

> > 1)                   Providing there is code to drive these requests,
> > will the peripheral be able to receive FM, receive ATSC HDTV, GPS and
> > GSM stuff?

FM -- yes
HDTV -- the USB bus may be BW limited here
GPS -- yes
GSM -- yes

> > 2)                   What is the likely-hood of GPS code being written
> > by the time the USB peripheral is released?

by the time the HW is released -- low
ever -- high for the GPS signal processing, low for the data analysis which is
required to actually figure out where you are.

> > For those who are curious.. I have successfully got Linux running on my
> > Xbox and I plan to put the Xbox in my car, and because the Xbox is USB,
> > I'd like to be able to plug this USB peripheral you dudes are making and
> > have Linux power my GPS and FM and stuff like that.

I thought the XBOX was USB1.  The peripheral will require usb2

> It might also be useful to ask how much CPU power will be required to
> interpret each kind of signal in real time.

FM -- very little
GPS, GSM -- probably about a 500+ MHz PIII
HDTV -- 5+ GHz