[Discuss-gnuradio] GPRS GNU Radio support

From: Tony Torzillo
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPRS GNU Radio support
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 03:40:30 +0000 (UTC)

I wonder if anyone has done any work on developing a GNU radio capable of
receiving GPRS signals.

I want to know what it would take to set up a simulated test environment
in which a GNU radio could receive and decrypt a GPRS signal.  GPRS uses a
form of A5 encryption called GEA.  Would be a proof of concept environment
to test the actual strength of over the air GPRS encryption.

Does anyone know what hardware would be necessary for the reception of a
GPRS signal, software for demodulating the signals, and also code to
attempt to brute force the GEA encryption.

I would like to know answers to the following questions:

1.  What hardware would be necessary for receiving and demodulating the
GPRS signal?  How much would such hardware cost?
2.  If it is possible to demodulate and receive the signal with a software
radio has code already been written to do so?
3.  Is the GEA algorithm susceptible to the same cryptographic flaws as
A5, and has someone developed code to exploit these flaws and decrypt
traffic?
4.  What resources would be required for brute forcing the keyspace?

In answering the above questions I am trying to answer the following
question:

Is receiving and decrypting a GPRS signal difficult enough that the GEA
encryption can be relied upon to prevent eavesdropping of sensitive
information, or is it cheap and easy to eavesdrop GPRS signals?

I've been told that it would require over $200,000 worth of equipment to
eavesdrop on a GPRS signal and that the GEA encryption algorithm is of
sufficient strength to prevent decryption within a reasonable time frame.

Thanks!