Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:58:26 -0800

At 05:18 PM 1/19/2003 -0500, Dave Emery wrote:
On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 11:13:41AM -0500, John Kodis wrote:

> If the FSF or the EFF has an attorney who could provide some expert
> guidance on this issue, that would be a much better approach than
> having a bunch of software and radio geeks trying to figure out what
> the law says about this situation.
        And as I understand it one has the right to practice an invention
personally for 'research and experimental purposes', so once such code
was published it would be a considerable stretch for DVSI or MIT to
sue someone using the code for hobby purposes or even writing and
distributing other code (gnu-radio) which required it to operate
but did not include it in the distribution.

        They could of course attempt to suppress publication and
distribution in the USA and other places that recognize software patents,
but of course there is the Internet...

That was sort of my original intention in recommending a US/European jurisdiction for publication.

steve