Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 19:39:34 -0800

At 10:21 PM 1/18/2003 -0500, Dave Emery wrote:
On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 06:34:54PM +0530, Arif wrote:
        As has already been mentioned, there is a patent problem with
IMBE.   There have already been several private efforts to implement
APCO-25 decoders (no encoders I know of) that remained unreleased to
the hobbyist/public safety scanning or ham/rf hacker open source worlds
because of the patent issue.   The first of these was probably finished
around 4-5 years ago...

        Of course if someone could only persuade DVSI and MIT to
allow release of open source IMBE for ham and private non commercial
experimentation everything would be hunky dory.   Perhaps Gnu-radio,
which originated with work done at MIT by the son of a distinquished
MIT professor might provide the incentive to get them to allow
a license for strictly non-commercial ham and rf hacking use.

I'm puzzled by the apparent problem of patents and licensing. Lots of companies are upset over DVD decryption software, yet is very widely available for download.

There are more than a few major countries which fail to recognize algorithms as the basis for patents (or the "trick" of implementing them in hardware logic as an attempted circumvention). If profit is not the key motive in releasing APCO25 code then I don't see the problem offering the source from one of these countries (e.g., So. Africa, Australia or New Zealand).

steve